Healthcare Purchaser Alliance of Maine
Falmouth, ME or Remote
Phone, Email, Postal Address:
# of Openings: 1
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit a resume/curriculum vitae and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. To receive a complete job description and summary of benefits, please email email@example.com.
The Data Scientist designs and conducts complex analyses on health care claims and helps employer clients turn data into actionable insights that drive cost savings, higher care quality, and improved patient experience for insured employees and dependents.
The ideal candidate for this position will have extensive experience working with healthcare claims data using SAS or a similar programming language, a strong understanding of commercial health insurance market dynamics, superb critical thinking skills, and the ability to complete analyses with minimal oversight. The HPA currently utilizes a hybrid office/work-from-home model for all staff, but a fully remote option is available for highly-qualified candidates.
- • Works with the Director of Analytics, other HPA staff, and directly with employers to conduct complex analyses of medical and pharmacy claims data using SAS software or a similar programming language. Responsible for advising employers on analytic methodologies, interpreting and delivering results, and identifying opportunities to improve healthcare affordability and/or quality.
- • Develops, programs, and automates new reports and analyses that can be standardized across the HPA’s employer members.
- • Mines a large database of commercial healthcare claims for opportunities to reduce cost and improve quality.
- • Maintains documentation of analytic methodologies, ensures the quality of all deliverables, and manages project timelines and scope.
- • Identifies anomalies in claims data and proposes mitigation opportunities.
Skills / Education Requirements:
- • Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience
- • Extensive experience (5 or more years) in analyzing medical and pharmacy claims data.
- • High level of proficiency with SAS software or similar programming language.
- • Strong understanding of commercial health insurance market dynamics.
- • Demonstrated competence with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- • Ability to frame a complex question appropriately, develop an analytical strategy, assemble the relevant data, clearly communicate results, and offer recommendations informed by analysis.
- • Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- • Ability to work independently.
- • Ability to influence the questions being asked and to provide analytical guidance that will inform the answers.
- • Deep understanding of concepts related to data quality and integrity.
- • Experience turning analysis into actionable insights and recommendations.
- • Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Date Posted: 10/21/2021