University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)
Phone, Email, Postal Address:
How to Apply:
Note: To be considered for this position, please attach a cover letter along with your resume.
# of Openings: 1
The Data Manager has primary responsibility for data management of the tuberculosis (TB) case registry and other surveillance data sources and serves as the subject matter expert for in-house data management for the TB Control Branch. The TB Data Manager writes, maintains and runs programs to monitor TB reporting and create reports, and manages electronic case reporting process using proprietary software. The ideal candidate will have experience in SAS or related software. The incumbent interacts with colleagues at the national and local levels to insure timely and accurate TB case reporting. The Data Manager will contribute to the successful implementation of the revised TB case report, including testing business rules, messaging, exports, and data mapping. Familiarity with principles of disease surveillance and public health a plus. Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- – Primary responsibility for data management of the TB case registry.
- – Subject matter expert for tuberculosis in-house data management of the TB Control Branch.
- – Independently manage county-to-state-to-CDC electronic case reporting process, including receiving data exports from the California electronic communicable disease reporting system (CalREDIE).
- – Implement form revisions in CalREDIE as needed, including testing business rules, messaging, quality assurance of exports, and updates to analytic files.
- – Independently identify and resolve non-routine problems with data transfer between local and state TB registries and CDC.
- – Maintain and run SAS programs to monitor case reporting from counties, work with Registry staff to contact counties and resolve reporting problems.
- – Reconcile state case counts with county programs, transmit data to the CDC and resolve data discrepancies.
- – Develop and implement protocols for file management.
Skills / Education Requirements:
- – BA/BS with major in a related field and at least 3 years experience.
- – At least 2 years experience using SAS programming or equivalent programs for database management in MS Windows environment.
- – Demonstrated ability to identify data quality issues and requirements, and recommend resolution.
- – Thorough knowledge of data management systems in public health environment.
- – Thorough knowledge of relevant regulations and guidelines for data security and patient privacy.
- – Ability to collect, compile, analyze and interpret data.
- – Ability to prepare programmatic and statistical reports.
- – Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- – Demonstrated ability to work with others from diverse backgrounds. Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated service orientation skills.
- – Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team.
- – Demonstrated strong problem-solving skills. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- – Strong organizational skills.
Operating Systems: SAS, Visio, Adobe Acrobat Professional, Visual Basic, SQL, R, MS Windows
- – Masters degree in public health, health informatics or related field; preferred.
- – Knowledge of principles of public health surveillance.
- – At least 3 years experience as data manager/analyst in disease registry, or other agency performing public health surveillance or other health-related data collection.
- – Knowledge of HL7 messaging.
- – Knowledge of Rhapsody and principles of data messaging.
- – Ability to apply basic epidemiologic and statistical concepts to disease surveillance data.
- – Experience with MS Access.
- – Familiarity with data migration processes.
Date Posted: 8-27-2019